Saturday, September 11, 2010

Summer Reading Blog; Taylor Swift: Every Day Is a Fairytale

It was around the middle of July and I was at my cousins' house. My mom and aunt had gone to Walmart, and to my surprise, my mom came back with a book that kept me busy for the duration of the summer. A biography on my favourite person ever, Taylor Swift.

Taylor Swift: Every Day Is a Fairytale, is a biography written by Liv Spencer, who has also done many other biographies on today's youngest stars. The book takes a very detailed look into the different stages of Taylor's life, from the moments of her childhood, to the end of her very successful Fearless tour about three months ago. The book also takes an in depth look at every song Taylor has put out from her two albums, Taylor Swift and Fearless. Known for her personal connection to each song, the book looks at who and what the songs are written about. At the end of the book, there is a timeline of Taylor's career, starting at 2004 to the end of 2009.

The author, Liv Spencer, used many different resources to get all the information for this book, having every detail extremely accurate, coinciding with numerous pictures to match the words. I believe that Liv Spencer does a great job at taking all of these different sources, and putting them together in her own style of writing. She keeps a great tone of narration throughout the book, but also makes it feel like she's talking to you one on one. Consistent and precise, the author's writing made this book have great flow and diction.

Three passages that appealed to me were:

"I would come out of these Disney movies and I'd be singing every single song from the movie on the car ride home, word for word. And my parents noticed that once I had run out of words I would just make up my own." Taylor admits, "I was that annoying kid who ran around singing for random strangers." (Page 4)

This passage appeals to me, because not only is it extremely funny, it shows that Taylor's skills as a writer and musician started at a young age.
The second quote is directly from Taylor, talking about her song "Breathe":

"It's a song about having to say goodbye to somebody, but it never blames anybody. Sometimes that's the most difficult part. When it's nobody's fault" (Page 68)

This appeals to me because although Taylor is known for a harsh break up song, this song explores a more somber side of Taylor. I believe that this quote is a very good definition of what the song "Breathe" means.
The final passage is another quote from Taylor, talking about the media and her image:

"It's fine to talk about love publicly. But I think when you talk about virginity and sex publicly, people just automatically picture you naked. And as much as I can prevent people from picturing me naked, I'm going to." (Page 118)

This quote shows that Taylor is a very smart celebrity, and knows how to keep her image clean. Working beside many of her more outrageous colleagues, it is clear that Taylor knows the direction she wants to move in.

No comments:

Post a Comment